michiganCourtRecords.us is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any state government agency.

CourtRecords.us is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree” you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy agree not to use information provided by CourtRecords.us for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual’s eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. CourtRecords.us cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by CourtRecords.us responsibly.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree”, CourtRecords.us will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

Michigan Court Records

MichiganCourtRecords.us is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the FCRA and does not provide consumer reports. All searches conducted on MichiganCourtRecords.us are subject to the Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.


What Are Inmate Records In Michigan?

In Michigan, inmate records contain information of persons who have been convicted of an offense and incarcerated in the state. These records are maintained by the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC). An inmate’s record would typically contain identifying information such as: 

  • Full name
  • Date of Birth, gender, race
  • Fingerprints, mug shots
  • Booking photos
  • Previous offenses, outstanding warrants, indictments, and convictions 
  • All charges and the counties where sentences took place
  • Date of Incarceration
  • Anticipated date of release

The Michigan Freedom of Information Act right of access to inmate records, making such information available upon request. The MDOC maintains records about inmates incarcerated in state-owned detention facilities, while the sheriff’s offices or police departments maintain records for inmates in city, township, or county jails. Information about inmates in any of these facilities may be accessed in different ways. 

How To Find An Inmate In Michigan?

For inmates incarcerated in state facilities, their records are maintained by the MDOC via the Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS). OTIS also provides information on parolees and probationers who have been discharged within three years. Details required to search on the MDOC database includes:

  • Offender’s names
  • MDOC number
  • Sex, age, race, and status

Information about inmates in county or city jails may be available on several county databases in the state. To find information about an inmate in a county or city jail, visit the sheriff’s office or a city police department, or send in a formal request. The request should contain the requestor’s information and also provide as many details on the desired records as may be available. These details should include the inmate’s full name, gender, race, and may also include information about the incarceration such as booking date and sentence details.

Alternatively, information on inmates may also be available on the sheriff’s office or police department’s websites. For example, inmate records for persons sentenced to one year or less in Oakland County are available on the Oakland County jail website. Requestors may use the inmate search tool provided, or contact the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office by telephone or email. Interested persons may search using the inmate’s first and last names or use the inmate’s case number.

Note that the offender tracking system does not contain information about offenders who have been released within three years. For information on a wider range of offenders, use the Michigan State Police’s ICHAT TOOL.

How To Find A Federal Inmate In Michigan?

Federal Inmates are persons convicted of federal crimes or any person awaiting trial for violations of federal laws. Federal inmates are incarcerated in various federal correctional facilities across the state, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons maintains records of such inmates. To find an inmate in a Michigan federal facility, use the Inmate locator on the Federal Bureau of Prisons website. Conducting a search requires the following details:

  • First, middle and last names
  • Age 
  • Gender
  • Race

Alternatively, a requestor may search using the inmate’s identification number. Acceptable identification numbers are:

  • Bureau of Prisons (BOP) registration number
  • Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) number
  • DC Department of Corrections number
  • The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) number
  • The Immigration and Naturalization Service’s number assigned to the inmate upon incarceration

Note: BOP’s inmate management system does not hold information on individuals who were incarcerated before 1982. Records older than 1982 are maintained and provided by the National Archives Records Administration (NARA). Note that archives may not contain inmate information for all years before 1982. Below are details for federal prisons and the years available for each one:

  • Fort Smith, Arkansas (1866 - 1900)
  • Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, California (1934 - 1963)
  • United States Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas (1895—1931)
  • Atlanta Federal Penitentiary (1902—1921)
  • McNeil Island, Washington

Persons interested in records for the above prisons for periods before 1982 may contact the NARA via its contact page. Alternatively, send a written request by mail to the NARA. Ensure that the request contains all available information about the records sought, including the inmate’s full name, charge details, sentencing details, and other information. Send the request to:

The National Archives and Records Administration

8601 Adelphi Road

College Park, MD 20740–6001

How Do I Find Inmate Records In Michigan?

While the information on inmates may be available online via the Michigan Department of Corrections’ inmate lookup, certified inmate records are only accessible by making a formal request in writing. The written request should contain the following information:

  • The inmate’s last and first names
  • Known aliases
  • The nature of the crime(s)
  • Date of birth 
  • Booking or release dates
  • MODC identification number

Requests may be sent to MDOC in person or by mail to:

Grandview Plaza

206 E. Michigan Ave

P. O Box 30003

Lansing, MI 48909

Written requests should be submitted along with all relevant details describing the desired records. Requests may also be made by email via the MDOC contact form.

Certified inmate records for persons in county or city jails may be obtained directly from the sheriff’s office or the police department in charge of the city jail. To obtain a certified record on a federal inmate held in a Michigan facility, the requestor may send a request to the Federal Bureau of Prisons at:

320 First Street, NW

Washington, DC 20534

(202) 307–3198

Note: MDOC records only date back to 1982. Records older than 1982 may be obtained by contacting the Michigan Archives via telephone at (517) 373–1408 or by email at archives@michigan.gov.

Records that are considered public may be accessible from some third-party websites. These websites often make searching simpler, as they are not limited by geographic location, and search engines on these sites may help when starting a search for a specific or multiple records. To begin using such a search engine on a third-party or government website, interested parties usually must provide:

  • The name of the person involved in the record, unless said person is a juvenile
  • The location or assumed location of the record or person involved. This includes information such as the city, county, or state that the person resides in or was accused in

Third-party sites are independent of government sources and are not sponsored by these government agencies. Because of this, record availability on third-party sites may vary.

How To Put Money On Jail Inmates Book In Michigan?

Inmates are not allowed to carry cash while incarcerated. However, inmates may receive funds from family members and friends through their commissary accounts. To send money to an inmate in a Michigan facility, depositors must have the following information:

  • The Inmates MDOC Identification Number
  • Inmate’s Name
  • Location of the Inmate

The Michigan Department of Corrections uses a third-party vendor to accept funds on behalf of the inmates. Through GTL Financial Services persons may deposit funds into an inmate’s commissary account using the following methods:

Internet Deposit

Funds may be paid online with a debit/credit card to the inmate through the GTL Deposit funds tool. This method requires the depositor to create an account before starting the transaction. Creating an account involves providing the requestor’s first name, last name, address line, city, zip code, email, phone number, and a password. Note that GTL will charge an additional fee on each transaction. 

By Mail

This is the most affordable way of sending funds, but also the slowest. To fund an account by mail, send a money order through the United States Postal service by filling out and printing a deposit coupon and mailing it to the GTL lockbox. Make the money order payable to “GTL Financial Services.” Send the documents to:

5700 SW 34th Street

Suite 1315

Gamesville, FL 32609–2835

Note that the inmate’s name and ID number should be included in the memo field. Also, the money order should carry the depositor’s information. 


A depositor may also put money on an inmate’s account by visiting the facility where the inmate is located and depositing money via the kiosk in the facility provided for fund receipt. Note: There will be a charge on each transaction

  • Criminal Records
  • Arrests Records
  • Warrants
  • Driving Violations
  • Inmate Records
  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Bankruptcies
  • Tax & Property Liens
  • Civil Judgements
  • Federal Dockets
  • Probate Records
  • Marriage Records
  • Divorce Records
  • Death Records
  • Property Records
  • Asset Records
  • Business Ownership
  • Professional Licenses
  • And More!